Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

California Grilled Chicken Sandwich and a Trip to Costco

Since our Austin trip, Mark has been feeling under the weather, so I forced him to let me cook dinner for him last night. It was like pulling teeth, but he finally gave in. Because we'd been out of town, the kitchen was a little sparse so we pregamed dinner with a trip to the grocery store. For some reason, going to the grocery store together is one of my favorite things to do.

For awhile now, Mark has been raving about the samps (samples to the common folk) at Coscto. Since Mark's mom has five kids, she did a lot of Costco shopping while Mark was growing up, so he still has fond memories of the place. For anyone who doesn't know, Costco is basically like Walmart on steroids. Everything is bought in bulk, so you get about three times the amount what you normally would. So Mark and I decided to do our weekly shopping at Costco this week to save a little money and try some samps. After walking through the store for about 30 minutes, we came to the sad realization that Costco may not be our grocery store of choice yet. It's tough for two people to eat 4 pounds of grapes without them going bad... So we stocked up on some free samps and headed to Tom Thumb where we bought the week's groceries.

I was a little nervous about cooking alone since Mark and I always work as a team in the kitchen, but I was determined to make dinner for him since he was sick. I mean, what kind of a girlfriend would I be if I couldn't at least do that? I made Mark choose the dinner too, so he decided on a California grilled chicken sandwich. Thankfully, not too difficult.


I have had a request to list our recipes as we make them, so here it is!

California Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe:

-1/2 Pound Chicken
-2 Whole Wheat Burger Buns (or Sourdough bread, but these were leftover from the Turkey Burgers)
-1 Whole Tomato
-1 Avocado
-Salt/Pepper
-Chicken Seasoning
-Mayo (optional)
-I served these with 1/2 pound of green beans and a few fresh strawberries

1. Boil one cup of water. Once the water has started to boil, put in the green beans. These will cook until everything else is done.
2. Cover chicken in salt, pepper and chicken seasoning. Place on grill.
3. Slice tomatoes and avocado. Toast the whole wheat buns if you want.
4. Once the chicken is finished cooking, slice into small slices.
5. Put chicken, avocado, tomato and mayo on the whole wheat bun.
6. I seasoned my green beans with cayenne pepper to add some spice.
7. Serve with strawberries and you're good to go!

More posts to come :)

M&m

No comments:

Post a Comment